Posted: Sep 05, 2018
OWINGS MILLS, Md. - The Stevenson University women's volleyball team swept Albright 3-0 in its home and MAC Commonwealth opener Wednesday evening at Owings Mills Gymnasium. Set scores were 25-13, 25-11, 25-15.
- The Mustangs (2-3, 1-0 MAC Commonwealth) jumped out to a 9-2 lead and never looked back.
- Stevenson had just two attack errors and 12 kills in the opening frame and hit .417 as a team, while Albright (1-1, 0-1 MAC Commonwealth) hit .043 as a unit.
- A block by senior Chelsea Ireland and junior Katie Leftridge closed out the set.
- Albright trailed 11-10 before the Mustangs rattled off 11 straight points with Leftridge serving to go up 22-10. Junior Victoria Prokic had two kills and a block in the run.
- The Mustangs held the Lions to three kills and a -.143 hitting percentage, while Stevenson had 14 kills and five errors for a .360 hitting percentage.
- Stevenson got the final two points on a service ace by sophomore Sarah Riggin and an Ireland kill.
- The third set was tied 7-7 before a 10-1 Stevenson run put the hosts up 17-8. The run ended with three straight service aces by junior Emily Castro.
- Stevenson again held Albright to a negative hitting percentage as it hit -.043 in the final frame.
- The win improved Stevenson's record to 49-0 all-time in MAC Commonwealth regular season play.
- Stevenson hit .314 overall on the evening, while Albright hit at a -.045 clip.
- The Mustangs recorded 15 service aces, their most in any match since a 3-1 win over Maryville (Tenn.) on September 9, 2016 and their most in a three-set match since a 3-0 win over Arcadia on October 21, 2015.
- Leftridge finished with seven kills on .500 hitting and 11 digs, while Prokic had five kills on eight swings and finished with six blocks.
- Ireland added six kills on nine attempts with one error, good for a .556 hitting percentage.
- Junior Caroline Dangel totaled 16 assists.
- A total of 17 players saw action for the Mustangs Wednesday night.
- Stevenson travels to Allentown, Pa. to compete in the Muhlenberg Buttermaker Tournament Friday and Saturday. The Mustangs face Stockton at 5 pm on Friday and the host Mules at 7 pm.
- The Mustangs return home Saturday, September 15 for a tri-match, hosting Rutgers-Camden at noon and Eastern at 4 pm at Owings Mills Gymnasium.