Posted: Oct 02, 2018
OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Stevenson women's soccer sophmore Keegan Caffrey recorded a career-high 19 saves but the Mustangs were held without a shot in a 3-0 MAC Commonwealth loss versus No. 3 Messiah Tuesday evening at Mustang Stadium.
- The Falcons (9-1, 2-0 MAC Commonwealth) recorded the first shot of the game in the 11th minute as leading scorer Brooke Firestone got behind the defense and tried to beat Caffrey to the far post but Caffrey came up with the stop.
- Firestone had six shots in the opening half, including a free kick from 30 yards out in the 25th minute that was grabbed by Caffrey.
- In the 26th minute, Maddie Kohl sent in a free kick that Barb Foster headed on goal on the far post. Caffrey made the initial save before Sunny Gelnovatch fired in the rebound to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.
- Kohl was trying to find the back of the net as she tried to beat Caffrey to the far post by Caffrey made a diving save. On the ensuing corner kick, Firestone's shot was blocked by the Mustangs (1-7-2, 0-2 MAC Commonwealth) defense before Caffrey covered.
- After a poor clear in the 39th minute, Kohl got in behind the defense but Caffrey tipped her shot over the crossbar.
- In the final seconds of the opening half, Lilly Shover recorded a shot off a corner kick but Caffrey saved it for her 12th of the half.
- Firestone netted her 12th goal of the season as she received a through ball from Gelnovatch in the 50th minute and beat Caffrey low to the right corner from the center of the box.
- Kohl recorded her fifht goal of the season, scoring from 25 yards out in the 83rd minute. Her shot went over the arms of Caffrey and off the crossbar and down.
- Messiah outshot Stevenson, 37-0 and had all 11 corner kicks.
- Caffrey's 19 shots rank fourth in program history, surpassing Casey Brown's 17 in 2013. Maria Harris recorded 34 saves versus Salisbury in 2004 while two goaltender each recorded 20 in a game.
- The Falcons have posted 316:48 consecutive scoreless minutes. Messiah also has recorded seven shutouts through 10 games.
- Stevenson returns to action on Saturday, October 6 when the Mustangs travel to Lycoming for a MAC Commonwealth contest beginning at 12:00 p.m.
- The Mustangs are back at home on Wednesday, October 10 versus Hood in a MAC Commonwealth tilt beginning at 7:00 p.m.