Sep 29, 2018
OWINGS MILLS, Md. - For the fourth time this season, the Stevenson women's soccer team was held to under 10 shots as the Mustangs dropped their MAC Commonwealth opener versus 23rd-ranked Arcadia, 2-0, Saturday evening at Mustang Stadium.
- The Knights (6-2-2, 1-0 MAC Commonwealth) broke open the scoring in the 14th minute as Jules Oswald served in a free kick from 40 yards out that went through the hands of sophomore goalkeeper Keegan Caffrey. The ball bounced to an open Erin Vander Plaat on the back post who hit it into the empty net.
- Stevenson (1-6-2, 0-1 MAC Commonwealth) recorded its first shot of the game in the 25th minute as sophomore Melanie Parncutt took a shot from outside of the box that sailed high.
- In the 36th minute, junior Alex Hamel had a free kick from 40 yards out that she fired on goal but it sailed just over the crossbar.
- Hamel added a second shot in the final seconds of the opening half but it went wide from outside the box.
- Both teams had a shot early in the half with neither going on frame. Junior Brianna Christie took a quick turnaround shot from the top of the box that sailed high.
- In the 65th minute, the Knights recorded a pair of shots following a corner kick but both were blocked by the Stevenson defense.
- Arcadia earned a corner kick in the 80th minute after Vander Plaat's shot from inside the box was blocked. Michaella Merklin got a head to the ball on the ensuing corner kick but that shot sailed wide.
- In the 88th minute, Caffrey made an initial save of Veronica Garcia's shot but was whistled for a foul while diving to recover the ball. Bridget Sway converted the penalty kick to push the visitor's lead to 2-0 at the 87:11 mark. Sway moved Caffrey to her left and finished back to her right.
- Arcadia outshot Stevenson, 18-6, including 10-2 in the second half. The Knights also held a 7-2 edge in corner kicks.
- The win is the third consecutive for the Knights in the series, with all three coming via shutout.
- Caffrey finished with four saves.
- Stevenson returns to action on Tuesday, October 2 when the Mustangs host fourth-ranked Messiah in MAC Commonwealth action beginning at 7:00 p.m.