Mustangs Erase Three Goal Deficit, Fall in Double Overtime at Shenandoah

Mustangs Erase Three Goal Deficit, Fall in Double Overtime at Shenandoah

WINCHESTER, Va. - The Stevenson women's soccer team erased a three goal second half deficit but Lauren Johnson scored in the 105th minute to lift host Shenandoah over the Mustangs, 4-3 in double overtime, Wednesday evening at Sprint Field at Shentel Stadium.

It is the fifth one-goal game for the Mustangs (4-3) this season, posting a 2-3 record in those games. The team is also 2-2 on the road this season, despite outscoring its opponents, 6-4 in those games.

Sophomore Marissa Inglisa recorded a shot just 11 seconds into the game but it sailed wide. The visitors managed just three shots in the opening half, including just one on net. Junior Sam Hooker recorded the only shot on frame in the first 45 minutes in the ninth minute.

The Hornets (4-3) were awarded the first corner kick of the game in the 26th minute and nearly found the back of the net but Alison Spaziani's shot hit off the crossbar.

After senior Tiffany McKee recorded her fourth save of the game, the hosts were awarded a penalty kick in the 44th minute, which Sara Fuller put into the back of the net. It is the third penalty kick McKee has allowed in her career.

Shenandoah built a 3-0 lead in the opening 11:28 of the second half, scoring back-to-back goals in a 3:33 span. Fuller netted her second off an assist by Spaziani before Spaziani found the back of the net herself.

The Mustangs would not go away quietly as senior Lauren Spivey got the visitors on the board 2:19 after the Hornets netted their third goal. It is the second consecutive game with a goal for Spivey who was assisted by sophomore Brianna Christie.

Freshman Elise Mahoney scored her first career goal in the 67th minute to get Stevenson within one. Mahoney is the third freshman to score this season.

Inglisa netted her team leading third goal of the season in the 86th minute to tie the game at 3-3. Christie was able to get a shot on net in the 88th minute but Charlotte Evans came up with a save to help send the game to overtime.

After Fuller recorded the first shot of the overtime period, the Mustangs took three of the next four with Christie firing another shot on net. The visitors had one last look in the first overtime with its fourth corner of the game.

In the second overtime, the Hornets were awarded a free kick just outside of the 18-yard box with Johnson flicking a shot by McKee for the game-winner.

Shenandoah held a slight 19-18 edge in shots, with the Mustangs outshooting the Hornets, 10-4 in the second half. Each team recorded four corner kicks.

Stevenson returns to action on Saturday, September 23 when the Mustangs travel to DeSales for a non-conference contest beginning at 1:00 p.m.