Apr 10, 2019
FREDERICK, Md. - Stevenson women's lacrosse freshman Caroline Murphy recorded eight points to lead the Mustangs to their sixth consecutive victory, a 14-5 MAC Commonwealth victory over Hood Wednesday evening at Thomas Athletic Field.
- It took just 53 second for the Mustangs (9-3, 4-0 MAC Commonwealth) to find the back of the net as junior Carly Bowes scored after freshman Kaitlyn Kozlowski won the opening draw control.
- Murphy doubled the visitors lead on an assist from classmate Lan Le Crotty before the Blazers (9-5, 1-4 MAC Commonwealth) answered just under four minutes later.
- Hood had a chance to tie the game on a free-position shot at the midway point but junior Mack Ferguson stopped her first of two free-position shots of the half.
- Crotty got in the goal column on an assist from freshman Mary Marc before Murphy scored twice in a 2:30 span to push Stevenson's lead to 5-1 with 5:22 remaining.
- Sophomore Lindsay Seipp converted on the Mustangs first free-position shot before Marc found the back of the net 28 seconds later on an assist from Murphy.
- The second half started just like the first as Bowes scored 37 seconds into the frame after Kozlowski was the opening draw control.
- Goals by Murphy and senior Dana Stevens gave Stevenson a 10-1 lead in the opening five minutes of the half before the hosts answered with back-to-back goals.
- Freshman Tea Ferrara became the seventh different goal scorer before classmate Hannah Huff became the eighth just 1:15 later. Both were assisted by Murphy.
- After seven minutes of scoreless action, Murphy found the back of the net for the fifth time on an assist from Seipp.
- Stevenson improves to 19-0 all-time versus Hood since the series started in 1995. The Mustangs have held the Blazers to five goals or less in 16 of those meetings.
- The Mustangs outshot Hood, 38-13. Each team finished with one free-position goal.
- Murphy finished with five goals, marking the fifth time the rookie has netted at least a hat trick and third time she has scored five goals. Eight points is tied for sixth in a single game.
- Bowes recorded her sixth hat trick of the season and 13th of her career. She is just nine goals shy of 100 for her career.
- Kozlowski finished with a game and career-high seven draw controls.
- In net, Ferguson recorded seven saves.
- Stevenson returns to action on Thursday, April 11 when the Mustangs host a non-conference contest versus 23rd-ranked Washington (Md.). Opening draw is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.