OWINGS MILLS, Md. - The third-ranked Stevenson men's volleyball team will begin their quest to repeat as Middle Atlantic Conference champions as the number two seed on Wednesday night when they welcome in third-seeded Messiah College to Owings Mills Gymnasium for a semi-final match set to begin at 7pm. The other semi-final will take place in Glenside, Pennsylvania with the top seed Arcadia University battling fourth-seeded Misericordia University also at 7pm. The two winners will then meet on Saturday at the highest remaining seed with the time to be determined after the semifinals.
Tickets are $5 for adults, $4 for seniors, $2 for students with I.D. Tickets for children six and under are free. All Stevenson students, faculty and staff are FREE with valid I.D.
Championship long-sleeve shirts will be on sale during the game for $18.
- Stevenson (29-3, 13-1 MAC) will enter Wednesday's match riding a nation-best 17 match winning streak.
- The Mustangs had another strong season inside of Owings Mills Gymnasium going 7-1 (6-1 in MAC play).
- Their only loss came at the hands of top seed Arcadia on February 16 by a score of 3-1, which stopped a string of 12 home wins in a row.
- The team is led by senior Landon Shorts who paces the side in kills (330), digs (218), and service aces (74).
- Classmate Jason Gardner has added 169 kills, 115 digs, and 50 blocks.
- A pair of sophomores Logan Smiley and Nate Reynolds have been pivotal to the success of the Mustangs this season as well. Smiley ranks second on the team in kills with 239 while chipping in 49 blocks and 40 aces. Reynolds leads Stevenson in blocks 129 and is second nationally averaging 1.358 per set.
- Graduate student Christian Taylor has been the primary setter dishing out a team-high 861 assists and has eclipsed 4,000 for his Division III playing career.
- Junior Derek Tangorra and freshman Mason Scott have shared the role of libero throughout the season with Tangorra racking up 197 and Scott 98.
- The Mustangs as a team lead the MAC in hitting percentage (.274), opponent hitting percentage (.109), and blocks per set (2.47).
- Messiah (19-10, 9-5 MAC) comes into the contest winners of two straight and three of their last four.
- They are 4-7 on the road this season.
- The Falcons are led by Matt Knab who has 256 kills averaging 3.46 per set he also has 105 digs to along with 37 blocks.
- Noah Shreiner is second on the side with 216 kills and 48 blocks.
- Marshall Nixon totaled 55 blocks to lead the team.
- Brad Nase is the team-leader in assists with 856 in addition to chipping in 115 digs, 66 kills and 34 blocks.
- The Falcons pace the conference in kills per set with 11.36 and assists per set 10.63.
- Stevenson is 4-0 against Messiah since joining the MAC prior to the start of the 2018 season.
- The Mustangs took the regular season series 2-0 over the Falcons.
- Messiah did manage to take a set from Stevenson this season in Owings Mills on February 27, before falling 3-1.
- March 27, 2019, in Grantham, Pennsylvania a 3-0 win for Stevenson
- Set scores were 25-16, 25-16, and 25-17.
- Reynolds totaled a team-high nine kills and six blocks.
- Shorts, Gardner, and Smiley combined for 18 kills.
- Taylor gave out 31 assists.
- Knab led the Falcons with nine kills, four digs, and two blocks.