Posted: Nov 06, 2019
GRANTHAM, Pa. - Top-seeded and 8th-ranked Messiah netted three goals in the opening half as the host Falcons downed fourth-seeded Stevenson 4-0 in the MAC Commonwealth semifinals Wednesday evening at Shoemaker Field.
- The Falcons (15-2-2) earned the first corner kick of the game in the ninth minute. Lucas Kokolios played the corner shot before receiving it back and serving it into the box, with the ball slipping into the net for the early score.
- In the 16th minute, Lucah Fitz had space inside the box and chipped a shot over a Mustang defender and sophomore Matt Stellitano to double the hosts lead.
- Just 2:16 later, Fitz beat his defende to the goal line before playing the ball back into the center of the box where Ben Lefever hit a one-timer into the back of the net.
- In the 26th minute, junior Tariq Lee beat his defender and fired a shot from the top of the box but it was blocked on the way there before Nate Flanders knocked it away.
- The Mustangs (12-6-3) earned their first corner kick after a shot by junior Dylan Holy was blocked. The serve in by sophomore Alex Morales found the head of freshman Chris Gonzales but the shot was wide.
- Stellitano made a point blank save in the 35th minute before the rebound was sent wide.
- Stevenson had a free kick from roughly 30 yards out early in the half, but sophomore Sean McDonald sailed the kick high.
- In the 67th minute, Holy had his shot saved by Flanders off a corner kick.
- Messiah added a fourth goal in the 82nd minute as Matt McDonald found a wide open Darryl Daniels in front of the net.
- Messiah outshot Stevenson, 26-8, and held a 5-2 edge in corner kicks.
- Senior DR Medtart, who made his 76th career start, set the new program record for starts.
- Stevenson will await selections for the ECAC Division III Men's Soccer Championship. Selections will be announced on Monday, November 11.