Mustangs Fall in Double Overtime at Haverford, 1-0

Mustangs Fall in Double Overtime at Haverford, 1-0

HAVERFORD, Pa. - The Stevenson men's soccer team went to overtime for the fourth time this season, including double overtime for the second time in the last three games, but the Mustangs were held scoreless as Haverford netted the game-winning goal in the 104th minute for a 1-0 victory Tuesday afternoon at Walton Field.

  • Neither team recorded a shot until the 10th minute as the Fords (10-4) put the first shot of the game on goal but freshman Matt Stellitano came up with his first save of the game.
  • Just 2:12 later, sophomore Jay Smith fired a shot on target but goaltender Jeremy Astesano turned it aside.
  • Junior DR Medtart recorded the second of the Mustangs (9-7-1) three first half shots in the 15th minute but Astesano once again came up with the save.
  • The final shot of the half came from freshman Pete Wickiser as Stevenson put all three of its first half shots on frame.

  • Early in the second half, the Mustangs defense came up big as they recorded a team save in the 53rd minute to keep the game scoreless.
  • The defense also came up with a pair of blocked shots in the 84th and 85th minutes.
  • Sophomore Tariq Lee recorded Stevenson's lone second half shot with 52 seconds remaining in regulation but it was blocked.
  • Medtart sent in a corner kick with 36 seconds left but the Mustangs did not record a shot.
  • Down the other end, Haverford sent a shot as time expired but the shot was sent high.

  • In the 95th minute, Medtart sent a corner kick into the box to sophomore Evan Joseph who headed it wide of the net.
  • Just 1:12 later, Stellitano came up with his first of two saves in the first overtime period.
  • With just under two minutes remaining in the first 10 minute period, Stellitano knocked a shot away before the defense once again saved the ball from going into the net.
  • The Mustangs recorded the first shot of the second overtime period before the Fords had the next three.
  • Noah Schwab had his shot blocked before Michael Carr sent in the rebound for the game-winner at the 103:22 mark.

  • Haverford outshot Stevenson, 24-7, including 13-1 in the second half. The Fords also held an 11-5 advantage in corner kicks.
  • Stellitano finished with six saves while the Mustangs defense had two.
  • The Mustangs are 1-2-1 in overtime this season, including 0-1-1 in double overtime.

  • Stevenson concludes the regular season on Saturday, October 27 when the Mustangs travel to Widener for a MAC Commonwealth contest beginning at 5:00 p.m.