Second Half Goals Lifts No. 11 Johns Hopkins Over Mustangs

Second Half Goals Lifts No. 11 Johns Hopkins Over Mustangs

BALTIMORE, Md. - The Stevenson men's soccer team was held to just two shots as 11th-ranked Johns Hopkins remained unbeaten with a 3-0 non-conference victory Monday evening at Homewood Field.

It was just the fourth all-time meeting between the two teams, with all four going Johns Hopkins way.

The hosts wasted no time going on the offensive, firing the first shot just 23 seconds into the contest but it was well wide of the net.

In the 6th minute, senior Eric Dorsey played a long ball for freshman Tariq Lee who beat goalkeeper Bryan See to the ball but the Blue Jays () defense recovered and knocked the ball out for a Stevenson throw in. A long throw by junior Iliyas Mirza caused some havoc inside the 18-yard box but the Mustangs were whistled for a foul in the box.

Johns Hopkins earned the games first corner kick in the 11th minute but sophomore Bobby Considine, who earned his first cap as a Mustangs with the start, knocked the ball away. The Blue Jays eventually earned a second corner kick on the play but could do nothing with it.

On the third corner kick in a two-minute span for the Blue Jays, Achim Younker headed a shot towards the net but freshman Dylan Holy headed it away. Down the other end, Lee had a step on his defender but his shot to the far left post was just wide.

In the 17th minute, Youker was played a ball in the box that he headed past Considine but it hit off the post and out for a goal kick after getting defensive pressure from Dorsey.

Considine was easily able to control a free kick by Mike Swiercz from 28 yards out to keep the hosts off the board. Four minutes later, Considine recorded his first career save and finished the opening half with three.

Johns Hopkins continued to apply pressure in the opening half, heading a ball over the net in the 39th before getting a shot on the near post following the sixth corner kick of the half in the 42nd minute.

The hosts continued to apply pressure throughout the second half, earning another free kick in the 53rd minute, this time from 25 yards away. But the Stevenson defense was able to clear away the low shot.

The Mustangs (1-7-2) had their best opportunity in the 56th minute but a shot by freshman Jevan Leyh off a free kick from senior Alex Lingg hit off the post. The Blue Jays quickly went down the other end and took the lead as Alejandro Maclean got a foot on a cross from Connor Jacobs.

Just 1:14 later, the hosts doubled its lead as RJ Moore chipped the ball in for Younker who headed it down past Considine.

In the 60th minute, Considine kept the deficit at two after making a big save on a Ben Bae shot after coming off his line to stop Bae who was in all alone.

Johns Hopkins added a third goal in the 66th minute as Alejandro Maclean blasted a one-time from the top of the box.

The hosts outshot the Mustangs, 25-2 and held a 9-0 edge in corner kicks.

Stevenson returns to action on Saturday, October 7 when the Mustangs host Widener in a MAC Commonwealth contest beginning at 1:00 p.m.