No. 12 Stevenson (8-3, 5-0 MAC Commonwealth) vs.
Alvernia (3-8, 0-3 MAC Commonwealth)
Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 4 pm
Reading, Pa. - Alvernia Turf Field (500)
• Stevenson is 8-0 against Alvernia all-time in a series that stretches back to 2003. All but one of the victories has been by double digits, and last season the Mustangs opened the season with a 29-1 win over the Crusaders at home.
• The Crusaders have dropped three in a row and are coming off a 15-12 setback at Moravian Tuesday night. Alvernia is still seeking its first MAC Commonwealth victory of the season and has not won since April 1 when it defeated Wilkes 9-5.
• The Mustangs are known for annually playing one of the nation's toughest schedules, and this season is no exception. Five Stevenson's opponents are ranked in this week's USILA Top 20, with three others receiving votes. Stevenson also faces two more opponents who have been ranked late in the season on the road in Cabrini and Stevens.
SCORING IN BUNCHES
• Wade Korvin scored a career-best eight goals in April 1st's win at Arcadia. That marks the most in a game by a Mustang since Mark Pannenton had eight goals against Hood on March 23, 2013. It is also one shy of the single-game scoring record of nine goals set by Steve Kazimer on April 11, 2008 against Hood.
IMPROVEMENT AT THE X
• Last season, Stevenson won 53.8% of its faceoffs, but just 45.1% in non-conference games, most of those against nationally-ranked opponents. This season, the Mustangs are winning faceoffs at a 56.7% clip.
• Four players have won MAC Commonwealth weekly awards this season. Senior goalie Ross Dinan was named Defensive Player of the Week twice, on March 6 and April 10. Senior Kyle D'Onofrio was named the league's Offensive Player of the Week March 20 after totaling seven goals and two assists at the Mustang Classic. The week of April 3, the Mustangs swept the weekly awards as Wade Korvin was named Offensive Player of the Week while Dominic DeFazio earned Defensive Player honors.
• A pair of players have been honored by the USILA this season with Player of the Week awards. Ross Dinan was named USILA South Defensive Player of the Week on March 8, while on April 5, Wade Korvin received South Offensive Player of the Week honors.
Senior Kyle D'Onofrio was also featured on ESPN Sportscenter's "Top 10" following the Lycoming game on April 4. His behind the back goal late in the first half was the day's No. 7 play and can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSFXwVAHR4
• Stevenson has qualified for the NCAA Tournament field in each of the past eight seasons. Only six other schools have qualified for the NCAAs every year during that span (Cabrini, SUNY-Cortland, Montclair State, Salisbury, Springfield, Tufts).
• Since joining the MAC Commonwealth prior to the 2013 season, Stevenson is 37-0 during the regular season against conference foes, and has won all four conference titles over that span. Prior to that, the Mustangs were mambers of the Capital Athletic Conference and the Pennsylvania Athletic Conference. Paul Cantabene has compiled an 88-7 (.927) mark in conference play.
GOING TO THE POLLS
• Since March 3, 2008, the Stevenson men's lacrosse team has appeared in 114 of the last 115 USILA Top 20 polls. The Mustangs had appeared in the poll 97 straight weeks before dropping out on week 3 of last season, but it was a one-week absence as Stevenson was No. 20 in the next poll. Stevenson has been in the top 10 in 95 of those 115 polls.
HOME SWEET HOME
• Since the Stevenson men's lacrosse team moved into Mustang Stadium for the 2012 season, the Mustangs are 66-15 (.815) at home. Stevenson was 28-2 at home over the first two seasons, and last season posted a 9-5 mark.
• Stevenson athletics can be found on Facebook by searching for "Stevenson University Mustang Athletics" or on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat at @GoMustangSports. Stevenson men's lacrosse can be found on Twitter at @StevensonLax.
MUSTANG SPORTS NETWORK
• All Stevenson men's lacrosse home games can be seen and heard on the Mustang Sports Network. To watch, simply visit www.gomustangsports.tv, or visit the Stevenson University Athletics Roku channel. To listen to the broadcast of any home game, simply visit sfmsports.net.
Head coach Paul Cantabene appears weekly on the Paul Cantabene Show on www.gomustangsports.com each Monday night during the season. The show is available on the athletics website as well as on the Stevenson Roku channel, YouTube channel and Facebook page.