Jan 12, 2019
GENESEO, N.Y. - The Stevenson men's ice hockey team was held to a season low 19 shots for the third time this season as second ranked Geneseo skated to a 7-0 non-conference victory Saturday afternoon at Wilson Ice Arena.
- The host Knights (15-1-1) came out firing right away as junior Dustyn Moyer was tested in net right away with a shot on net in the opening minute.
- Geneseo found the back of the night at 5:53 after Joe Serpico redirected a shot from the point.
- The Mustangs (6-10-0) were whistled for the first penalty of the game but Moyer knocked aside all three shots on net.
- A rebound at the 11:23 mark put the Knights up two goals before the hosts scored a third just 2:12 later.
- With 3:11 remaining in the period, Geneseo notched a fourth even strength goal.
- Junior Pierce Dushenko started the second period and was tested in the opening 30 seconds, knocking aside a shot.
- Just 4:05 into the period, the Knights scored on another rebound attempt off a shot from the top of the zone.
- At the midway point of the period, the Mustangs fired three consecutive shots, including two by junior Chris Javens but all three were saved by Devin McDonald before freshman Ryan Patrick hit the pipe with his shot.
- After a goal put the Knights up, 6-0, the Mustangs had a five-on-three power play for 1:13 but McDonald saved both shots on net during the two-man advantage.
- The two teams combined for just 13 shots in the third period after 53 in the first two periods.
- Neither team was whistled for a penalty in the final period.
- Geneseo scored an unassisted goal with 2:41 remaining in regulation.
- Geneseo outshot Stevenson, 41-19, including 21-4 in the first period.
- The Mustangs were 0-for-2 on the power play and 1-for-1 on the penalty kill.
- Moyer finished with 17 saves in the first period while Dushenko totaled 23.
- The visitors finished with 15 blocked shots including three by both senior Austin Swingle and sophomore Matt Cappucci. Junior Evan Williams and sophomore Aaron Murray each had two.
- Stevenson returns to action on Saturday, January 19 when the Mustangs travel to Chatham for a United Collegiate Hockey Conference (UCHC) contest beginning at 7:10 p.m.
- The team returns home on Friday, January 25 when the Mustangs host an United Collegiate Hockey Conference (UCHC) and Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC) contest versus King's (Pa.) beginning at 7:00 p.m.