Posted: Jan 08, 2020
READING, Pa. - Host Alvernia scored the game's first 13 points and never looked back, downing Stevenson 77-57 in MAC Commonwealth men's basketball Wednesday evening at Jack McCloskey Court.
- Alvernia (7-6, 3-2 MAC Commonwealth) opened up a 13-0 lead just over four minutes into the game.
- Stevenson (5-9, 2-3 MAC Commonwealth) got on the board on a basket by Jaylin Johnson with 14:56 remaining in the opening half.
- The Mustangs pulled within eight, 15-7, on a layup by Bo Wesley with 12:47 on the clock.
- The Golden Wolves scored the game's next 13 points to stretch the lead to 21, 28-7, with just under nine minutes left.
- Cam Harris stopped the Alvernia run with a three with 7:44 to go.
- The hosts took a 45-17 lead into the break.
- Stevenson opened the second half on a 9-2 run and a basket by Evan Joseph made it 47-26 just over two minutes in.
- Alvernia countered with a 7-3 spurt to rebuild a 25-point cushion.
- The hosts took their largest lead, 61-31, with 12:23 on the clock.
- An 11-2 Mustang run capped by a basket by Cornelius Bobo made it 65-44 with just under eight minutes left.
- Isaiah Oshinnaiye's basket with 1:33 left got the Mustangs within 19, 74-55.
- Alvernia shot 63% in the first half (17-27) and 53.8% for the game, while the Mustangs shot 54.8% in the second half and 39% for the contest.
- Stevenson outrebounded the Golden Wolves 35-29.
- Wesley went 6-7 from the floor and finished with a career-high 12 points.
- Four players, Johnson, Harris, Bobo and Kyle Wooldridge each added six points.
- Johnson handed out seven assists.
- Stevenson returns to action Saturday, hosting conference frontrunner Widener in a 3 pm MAC Commonwealth tilt at Owings Mills Gymnasium.