Posted: Dec 30, 2019
SALEM, Va. - Maryville (Tenn.) downed Stevenson 67-50 in the second round of the Creeger Invitational in non-conference men's basketball action Monday afternoon at Roanoke's Creeger Center.
- The Mustangs (5-7) and Scots (1-9) traded the lead four times in the opening nine minutes, with a basket by Mikey Parker putting Stevenson up 13-11 at the 11:22 mark.
- Maryville used a 9-0 run to build a 20-13 lead with just under eight minutes left in the first half.
- A three by Parker pulled the Mustangs within four, 20-16, with 7:29 to go.
- The Scots closed the half on a 12-1 run to take a 32-17 lead into the locker room.
- Stevenson scored the first six points of the second half and pulled within none, 32-23, on a basket by Mark Terrell with 17:15 to go.
- After Maryville scored the next four to retake a 13-point lead, a three by Norman Hughes made it 36-26 with 14:42 on the clock.
- The Scots and Mustangs traded 5-0 runs, with a basket by Jaylin Johnson again pulling Stevenson within 10, 41-31, at the 12:21 mark.
- A three by Parker with 8:26 remaining got the Mustangs within eight, 47-39.
- Maryville scored seven of the next eight points to build a 54-40 lead with just over six minutes to go.
- Two free throws by Parker got the Mustangs within a dozen, 54-42, with just under four minutes left, but Stevenson got no closer.
- Maryville shot 46% overall while holding the Mustangs to 31% from the floor.
- The Mustangs held a 36-31 rebounding advantage.
- The Scots held a 35-14 lead in points off turnovers as Stevenson had 31 turnovers in the contest.
- Parker had a career-high 13 points, going 4-8 from the floor and 2-4 behind the arc.
- Terrell finished 8-10 at the free throw line and added 12 points and eight rebounds.
- Stevenson is back in action Saturday, traveling to Albright for a 3 pm MAC Commonwealth game.
- The Mustangs return home Saturday, January 11, when they host Widener in a 3 pm MAC Commonwealth contest at Owings Mills Gymnasium.