2018-19 Stevenson Men's Basketball
vs. Alvernia, Wednesday, January 23 - 8 pm
vs. Arcadia, Saturday, January 26 - 3 pm
• Stevenson defeated Alvernia 67-64 in Reading earlier this season on a 50-foot heave at the buzzer by Montaque Wright in a game that saw 12 ties and 14 lead changes. Last season the Golden Wolves swept the season series against Stevenson.
• Arcadia has won the last six games in the season series with Stevenson, including a 63-58 win over the Mustangs on December 15 of this season. The last Mustang win in the series came in the 2015-16 campaign.
• Stevenson has been idle since Wednesday January 16 when it fell 82-67 at Hood. The Mustangs are led by Mark Terrell and Montaque Wright. Terrell is averaging 18.4 ppg, while Wright is averaging 18.3. The duo ranks third and fourth in the MAC Commonwealth in scoring. Marcus Dentley made his season debut on December 15 against Arcadia and is averaging 15.1 ppg. He had a career-best 29 in the Widener win on January 12 and had 28 against Hood last Wednesday.
• Alvernia won four straight, three against MAC Commonwealth foes, after its loss to Stevenson on January 3, but the Golden Wolves fell 77-66 to Hood on Monday afternoon. Three Alvernia players are averaging double figures, led by Nick Youngkin and his 15.7 ppg average.
• The Knights are receiving votes in the D3hoops.com Top 25 and were on a school-record 12-game win streak before dropping an 89-86 non-league decision to Rosemont on Monday. Arcadia has four of its five starters averaging double figures, including Da'Kquan Davis checking in with a 17.1 ppg average.
• Senior Montaque Wright earned a spot on ESPN Sportscenter's Top Players on January 3 when his 50-foot buzzer beater against Alvernia to give the Mustangs a 67-64 win was the No. 2 play. The clip of the game-winner has also been seen over 18,000 times on Twitter and Facebook.
RACKING THEM UP
FILLING THE STAT SHEET
• Montaque Wright ranks among the MAC Commonwealth leaders in a bevy of statistical categories. Wright leads the league in steals at 2.4 per game, while ranking fourth in scoring (18.4 ppg) and fifth in assists (4.2 apg). He is 13th in rebounding (5.4 rpg) and sixth in assist/turnover ratio (1.4).
On January 9 against Messiah, Wright recorded just the second triple-double in Mustang history, finishing with 25 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists against the Falcons. His triple-double is one of just nine in Division III this season.
SPREADING THE WEALTH
• The Mustangs are averaging 17.9 assists per game, good for No. 19 in Division III.
• Stevenson's 88-51 win against Clarks Summit in the first round of the Buffalo Wild Wings Classic was its largest margin of victory since a 113-68 victory against SUNY-Purchase on February 18, 2006.
• On January 12, the Mustangs downed Widener 101-71. The 30-point margin of victory was the largest for Stevenson in a MAC Commonwealth game since joining the league for the 2012-13 season.
BIG COMEBACKS, TOO
• Stevenson trailed Lycoming 66-52 against Lycoming on December 1 and eventually forced overtime with 1.2 seconds left as Montaque Wright made three free throws before winning 100-92 in overtime.
• On December 8, Stevenson trailed Albright by as many as 13 in the second half and 81-69 with 3:06 left before forcing overtime with 0.6 seconds left on a three by Evan Joseph. The Mustangs went on to win 96-95 in OT.
REELING THEM OFF
• With its seven-game win streak earlier this season, Stevenson had its longest win streak since winning seven in a row in the 2014-15 campaign. The seven-game win streak is tied for second-best in program history with two other seven game strings. The Mustangs won 15 in a row in 2006-07, while they had a seven-game win streak in 2005-06 in addition to 2014-15.
• Stevenson won 84-79 at Lebanon Valley on November 28 to pick up its first MAC Commonwealth road win since the 2016-17 season. The Mustangs were 0-9 on the road in league play last season but are 2-1 this season.
• After not having any overtime games in the 2015-16 or 2016-17 seasons, the Mustangs have had four since the start of last season. Stevenson was 1-1 last season and 2-0 in 2018-19.
MAKING HIS MARK
• After averaging 5.7 ppg through his first two seasons, junior Mark Terrell is averaging 18.4 ppg this season. He had a career-high 35 points against FDU-Florham, the most by a Mustang since Erik Fisher had 36 against Hood in 2016. Terrell is shooting 59.6% from the floor and ranks third in the MAC Commonwealth in scoring and is fourth in field goal percentage.
• Stevenson hits the road twice next week, heading to Messiah on Wednesday, January 30 and Lycoming on Saturday, February 2.
• Stevenson athletics can be found on Facebook by searching for "Stevenson University Mustang Athletics" or on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat at @GoMustangSports. Stevenson men's basketball can be found on Twitter at @GoMustangHoops.
MUSTANG SPORTS NETWORK
• All Stevenson men's basketball home games can be seen and heard on the Mustang Sports Network. To watch, simply visit www.gomustangsports.tv, or visit the Stevenson University Athletics Roku channel. To listen to the broadcast of any home game, simply visit sfmsports.net.