Posted: Jan 16, 2019
FREDERICK, Md. - Host Hood jumped out to a 43-34 halftime lead en route to a 82-67 MAC Commonwealth men's basketball victory over Stevenson Wednesday night at BB&T Arena.
- The game was tied four times in the first five-plus minutes.
- A conventional three-point play by Marcus Dentley with 11:50 to go in the half put Stevenson (12-5, 6-2 MAC Commonwealth) up 17-15.
- Hood (11-6, 5-3) used a 14-2 run capped by an Evan Wang layup to build a 33-23 lead with just over six minutes left before intermission.
- The Blazers took their largest lead of the first half, 41-29, with 2:11 on the clock.
- A basket by Dentley with 1:03 left in the half pulled the Mustangs within nine at the break, 43-34.
- The hosts outscored Stevenson 14-7 over the first four minutes of the stanza to open up a 16-point cushion, 57-41.
- A three by Kyle Wooldridge at the 15:47 mark kicked off an 11-2 Mustang run that pulled them within seven, 59-52, with 12:29 remaining.
- Stevenson kept chipping away, extending the run to 19-4, and back-to-back threes by Montaque Wright with 9:48 to go cut Hood's lead to one, 61-60.
- The Blazers responded with a 7-0 spurt to increase the lead to 68-60 with 6:35 to go. A basket by Mark Terrell at 5:48 stopped the run.
- Hood led 75-66 with 3:04 left when it put the game away with nine straight points to make it 82-66 with 2:10 left.
- Dentley led the Mustangs with 28 points, one shy of his career-high he scored Saturday against Widener. He finished 11-16 from the floor and also grabbed nine rebounds.
- Wright reached double figures in scoring for the 13th straight game and 16th time in 17 games this season with 16 points. Wright also contributed four rebounds, four assists and a pair of steals.
- Terrell tallied 13 points, going 6-7 from the floor.
- The Mustangs shot 47.3% from the floor and 12-16 at the free throw line, but were 3-18 behind the arc.
- Hood shot 43.8% overall, was 9-29 behind the arc, and 17-19 at the charity stripe.
- The Blazers forced 25 Mustang turnovers, leading to a 25-19 lead in points off turnovers for the hosts.
- Stevenson is idle until next Wednesday, January 23, when it hosts Alvernia in an 8:00 MAC Commonwealth game at Owings Mills Gymnasium.