Sep 14, 2019
WINCHESTER, Va. - Stevenson University senior field hockey goalie Kelsey Eure made a career-high 14 saves, but a late second-quarter goal sank the Mustangs as they fell 1-0 at Shenandoah Saturday afternoon.
- Shenandoah (4-1) generated the game's first penalty corner with just over six minutes gone by.
- Natalie Fyock had the first shot of the game for the Hornets just over 13 minutes in, which was stopped on a defensive save by Stevenson's (2-5) Ashli Glatfelter.
- Kaitlin Karns put a shot on goal at the start of the period that was turned aside by Shenandoah's Isabella Morande.
- Eure came up with her first save of the game 3:36 into the quarter.
- The Mustangs generated three penalty corners in a four-minute span but did not get a shot off.
- Taylor Hayes scored 3:37 before intermission for the Hornets, with Kelsey Jones assisting.
- Shenandoah put eight shots on cage in the final three minutes, but Eure had five saves, and the Mustangs got defensive saves from Glatfelter, Cristina Parrish and Jordan Hershberger.
- The hosts held an 11-1 shot advantage at intermission.
- Shenandoah had three penalty corners in a minute's time just over seven minutes into the third. Jean Hart had a defensive save during the spurt.
- Karns put another shot on goal just past the 40-minute mark that was stopped by Morande.
- The Hornets put back-to-back shots on goal with just over seven minutes left but Eure was able to come up with both saves.
- Hershberger had her second defensive save of the game with just over two minutes to go.
- Eure's previous career-high in saves came in her freshman year of 2016, stopping 13 shots against Salisbury on September 7.
- Eure is now tied for sixth all-time in career saves with 244.
- The Hornets held a 23-2 shot advantage and generated 13 of the game's 16 penalty corners.
- Stevenson hits the road on Wednesday, September 18 when it travels to face second-ranked Rowan University in a 7 pm contest.
- The Mustangs return home on Saturday, September 21, hosting Centenary (N.J.) in a 4 pm game at Mustang Stadium.