Posted: Sep 10, 2019
OWINGS MILLS, Md. - The Stevenson field hockey team was held scoreless for the third consecutive game as the Mustangs dropped a 3-0 non-conference decision versus Catholic Tuesday evening at Mustang Stadium.
- The hosts recorded the first shot of the game as junior Anna Bauer put a shot on frame that was knocked away by Maysen Elliot.
- Midway through the quarter, the Cardinals (2-2) recorded back-to-back shots, including one on net that was saved by senior Kelsey Eure before the visitors sent the second one wide.
- With 1:57 remaining, Catholic took a 1-0 lead as Alexandra DiFlorio hit a backhanded shot in the middle of the circle.
- Just 26 seconds later, the visitors doubled their lead as Kelly Cancelmo took a penalty corner before receiving the ball back and beating Eure near post.
- With just over five minutes remaining, the Mustangs (1-3) recorded the first shot of the quarter as sophomore Alexis Arruda had a shot saved in close off a penalty corner.
- The hosts had another penalty corner just 30 seconds later but did not record a shot.
- After recording five shots in the opening quarter, the Cardinals were held without a shot in the second.
- Stevenson had a two-player advantage for a minute as Catholic was whistled for two green cards 57 seconds apart.
- Senior Emma Adams got a shot off on the far post following a penalty corner but Elliot kicked it away.
- Over the final five minutes of the quarter, the Cardinals had three penalty corners and managed three shots, including two on net turned away by Eure.
- Catholic added to their total with a score just 2:08 into the quarter on an odd-player rush breakaway.
- Late in the quarter, Eure came up with a pair of saves, including a save with just over two minutes remaining.
- Catholic outshot Stevenson, 10-4, including 3-0 in the fourth quarter. All four of Stevenson's shot were on target.
- The Mustangs held a slight edge in penalty corners, 5-4.
- Both goaltenders finished with four saves, with Eure totaling three in the second half.
- The teams combined for four green cards and one yellow card.
- Stevenson returns to action on Thursday, September 12 when the Mustangs host a non-conference contest versus Lancaster Bible beginning at 7:00 p.m.