Sep 22, 2018
OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Stevenson women's soccer freshman Kierra McGee netted her first career goal as the Mustangs posted a 1-0 shutout victory over DeSales Saturday afternoon at Mustang Stadium.
- In the 24th minute, the Mustangs (1-5-2) recorded their first shot of the game as junior Brianna Christie had a breakaway but goalkeeper Haley Jacobs came out to play the ball and forced Christie's shot wide.
- The Bulldogs (2-4-2) had the next four shots, including three of them outside of the box, but all four shots were wide of the goal.
- DeSales had its best look on goal in the 37th minute as Emily MacRae fired a shot inside the box that was saved by goalkeeper Keegan Caffrey. Jess Amick followed with the rebound with Caffrey out of the net but sophomore Gabrielle Arters saved the ball and cleared it out of the box.
- In the 48th minute, sophomore Elise Mahoney played a ball into the box for junior Alayna Roesener who played it forward from the top of the box. McGee got behind the defense and fired the ball to the left corner with Jacobs diving the opposite way.
- DeSales had a free kick right outside the box in the 76th minute but Caroline Nealon sent the shot wide of the net.
- The Bulldogs quickly moved the ball upfield in the 80th minute and Natalie Dorsheimer centered the ball into the box to a wide open Rachel Medlar, but Caffrey made a point blank save to preseve the Mustangs lead.
- DeSales outshot Stevenson, 17-4, including 8-1 with shots on goal.
- The Bulldogs held a 4-0 advantage in corner kicks, marking the second time this season the Mustangs did not record a corner kick.
- Caffrey finished with eight saves for her second career shutout.
- It was just the second all-time meeting between the two schools with Stevenson winning them both.
- McGee is the seventh Mustang to find the back of the net while Roesener picks up her first assist on the season.
- Stevenson hits the road for the first time in six games as the Mustangs travel to Moravian on Wednesday, September 26 for a non-conference contest beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- The next home game for the Mustangs will be on Saturday, September when the team opens MAC Commonwealth play versus 14th-ranked Arcadia beginning at 7:30 p.m.