Brown Records Career-High 11 Saves in Heartbreaking Overtime Loss

OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Stevenson men's soccer senior Jake Brown recorded a career-high 11 saves but Randolph-Macon scored with 56 remaining in the first overtime as the Mustangs dropped a heartbreaker in a non-conference contest versus the Yellow Jackets Wednesday evening at Mustang Stadium.

The Mustangs (1-3-1) were held scoreless for the second straight game while the Yellow Jackets have not allowed a goal through five games this season. It was the sixth meeting in the series between these two teams, a series Randolph-Macon leads 4-1-1, including 3-0 in Owings Mills.

After playing in their defensive end for most of the opening 10 minutes, the Mustangs started to get the offense rolling after earning back-to-back corner kicks. A shot by sophomore DR Medtart was blocked at the top of the top of the 18-yard box before freshman Christian Beteta sent a header wide.

On the second corner kick of the opening half for the Yellow Jackets (5-0), Brown punched away the low cross before coming up with a save on a one-timer at the top of the box. Randolph-Macon held a 7-5 edge in corner kicks for the game, including four attempts in the opening half.

Brown made another good save in the 22nd minute, collecting a flicked header off a long throw-in before following that up with a save off a free kick from 40 yards out.

Randolph-Macon come close to taking the lead in the 25th minute as Christian Torres' shot got by a diving Brown but the ball hit off the post and back into play. The visitors then sent a header wide left of the net on the ensuing corner kick.

Following a long throw-in by the visitors, Brown came up with a diving save on a rocket of a shot from the top of the box. He then recorded his sixth save of the opening half on a shot from right outside the six-yard box after Dylan Ogletree got behind the Mustangs defense.

Early in the second half, Brown avoided danger as he knocked away a ball that was deflected by his own defender on a cross into the box by the Yellow Jackets before sophomore defender Nick Ellis blocked the ensuing shot.

Down the other end, freshman Tariq Lee sent a cross across the face of the goal but it got passed two Mustangs attackers.

Just two minutes after coming onto the field, junior Iliyas Mirza nearly gave the hosts a lead as he ran onto a through ball by Lee and fired a shot to the far post but it curled just wide.

The Yellow Jackets were awarded a free kick in the 65th minute from 29 yards out, but Jacob McHugh's shot was right at Brown who came up with another big save. A minute later, the Randolph-Macon defense pulled up as goaltender Brian Breslin came out to play the ball, but Lee beat the back line and got a foot to the ball and past Breslin but it sailed just wide of the net.

On a free kick from 45 yards out, the visitors thought they took the lead on a header that found the back of the net, but they were whistled for offsides. Randolph-Macon was called offsides six times in the game.

In the 81st minute, junior Colin Horne played a ball back for Medtart who was making a run into the box, but his one-timer went high over the bar.

The Yellow Jackets were awarded another free kick, this one in the 86th minute from the left side of the 18-yard box. The shot curled on net but Brown was there once again and made another diving save for his 10th of the game.

Brown recorded his lone save in overtime in the 94th minute as he was forced to punch away a free kick. Stevenson was whistled for 16 fouls in the game.

After a corner kick in the 96th minute by senior Eric Dorsey sailed over everyone but classmate Andrew Catalana was there to serve the ball back in the box. As Breslin came out to play the ball, Horne got a head on the ball but could not aim it on net.

With the ball bouncing around in the Yellow Jacket's defensive end, Josh Beeker booted a ball up field that Dylan Ogletree ran onto and beat Brown one-on-one inside the six-yard box for the win. Ogletree had gotten behind two Mustang defenders to set up the score.

The Mustangs were the first team to record more than seven shots versus Randolph-Macon after finishing with 12, including 11 in regulation.

Stevenson returns to action on Saturday, September 16 when the Mustangs travel to Catholic for a non-conference contest beginning at 1:00 p.m.