Tringali Leads Mustangs In Near Upset of No. 3 Franklin & Marshall

Tringali Leads Mustangs In Near Upset of No. 3 Franklin & Marshall

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – Highlighted by 10 saves from junior goalkeeper Michael Tringali, the Stevenson men's soccer team battled No. 3 Franklin & Marshall to a near upset as the Mustangs fell 1-0 in double overtime Tuesday afternoon at Mustang Stadium.

It was the third double overtime game for the Mustangs (3-5-1) this season with the team going 1-1-1 in those games. All three overtime games have come at home.

In the first half, the Stevenson defense was strong as they held Franklin & Marshall without a shot for the first 9:38 of the game. The Diplomats, who finished with a season-high 24 shots, entered the game averaging 16.3 per game.

In the 18th minute, Franklin and Marshall's Ugo Okolie beat his defender and had a one-on-one play at the goal before Tringali slid in for the save. Just a minute later, the Diplomats fired a shot from the top of the box, but senior Reid Hawkins jumped in front for the block.

The Mustangs had their own look at goal as senior Calvin Granger had a breakaway look in the 25th minute but his shot from the left side was saved by Trevor Britton.

Neither team attempted a shot for the final 20 minutes of the opening half with the Diplomats holding a 5-2 advantage at the break.

Eight minutes into the second half, Franklin & Marshall was awarded a penalty kick after a foul in the box. But Tringali came up big with a diving save on Ben Draheim's attempt before making an acrobatic save on the rebound attempt.

Following Tringali's saves, Franklin & Marshall (8-0) had three-straight corner kicks but the Stevenson defense was able to break up any scoring opportunity. Both teams attempted five corner kicks in the game.

In the 77th minute, the Stevenson defense stepped up once again when a scramble in front of the goal lead to a header off of the crossbar by the Diplomats. The ball rebounded back into the box, but freshman Iliyas Mirza cleared the ball.

With time running out in regulation, Franklin & Marshall attempted three-straight shots but Tringali made two more diving saves before the last of the three went wide left. 

The Mustangs were awarded a penalty kick just 1:05 into the first overtime period as Granger was taken down in the box after getting passed his defender. Hawkins, who was 3-for-3 in penalty kicks this season, hit the left post on his attempt to keep the score knotted at 0-0.

Franklin & Marshall totaled three more shots in the period, but none would score as the game went into a second overtime period.

The Diplomats scored 2:33 into the second overtime when Chase TenBrook settled the ball in the middle of the box and volleyed the ball to the top left corner of the net.

Tringali has totaled 22 saves in his last two games after recording a career-high 12 last Saturday.

Stevenson returns to action on Saturday, September 27 when the Mustangs travel to Wilkes for their final non-conference game of the season. Game time is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.