Jan 05, 2019
FREDONIA, N.Y. - For the first time in program history, the Stevenson men's ice hockey team was not whistled for a penalty but a second period goal gave Fredonia a 1-0 non-conference victory Saturday afternoon at Steele Hall Ice Arena.
- Neither team found the back of the net in the opening period, with the Blue Devils (10-2-2) holding a 15-9 edge in shots.
- The Mustangs (5-9-0) went scoreless on their only power play opportunity of the period despite firing five shots on net.
- In the final 30 seconds, freshman Chad Watt blocked a shot before classmate Luke Benitez fired a shot wide.
- Todd Schauss scored the game's only goal at the 2:38 mark of the middle frame.
- Stevenson went on the power play at the 5:03 mark but both shots on net were saved by Eric Bogart.
- The Mustangs held a 14-7 advantage in shots.
- The two teams combined for just 12 shots in the period, with each team recording six.
- At the 3:54 mark, the Mustangs went on the power play but Fredonia recorded the lone shot.
- With 1:42 remaining in regulation, Stevenson pulled the goaltender for an extra skater. The Mustangs recorded a pair of shots in the final 50 seconds but both were saved.
- Stevenson held a 29-28 edge in shots while Fredonia won 41 of the 72 face-offs.
- Junior Evan Williams recorded two blocked shots.
- It is the third time the Mustangs were shutout this season.
- Stevenson returns to action on Friday, January 11 when the Mustangs travel to Brockport for a non-conference contest beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- The Mustangs return home on Friday, January 25 when the team hosts an United Collegiate Hockey Conference (UCHC) and Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC) contest versus King's beginning at 7:00 p.m.